Millions of people around the world engage in some form of gambling every day. Regardless of the type of gambling you choose to engage in, it’s supposed to be entertaining and harmless. But some people might have difficulty controlling their gambling behaviours and thus end up developing problem gambling or addiction. That is why we are committed to ensuring that you understand the potential risks of bad gambling habits. As Newuk.casino, we want you to gamble responsibly.
How to Identify a Gambling Problem
Instead of waiting to deal with a serious gambling problem, it helps to know the signs of risky gambling habits. You’ll be in a position to prevent and address potentially harmful gambling behaviours if you can identify the major signs in advance. The following is a checklist to help you detect problem gambling in the initial stages.
- Spending a lot of money on gambling at the expense of bills and basic needs such as food
- Spending more time gambling than before
- Lying about your gambling behaviour
- Regular borrowing or selling possessions to use the money for gambling purposes
- Deteriorating relationships with family, friends, and colleagues due to gambling
- The urge to continue wagering even if you are making losses (chasing losses)
- Ignoring important aspects of life such as work and time with family to gamble
- Gambling at odd hours of the night
How to Avoid Problem Gambling
Prevention is better than cure, even in the world of gambling. You’d rather avoid problem gambling than try to address a problem that has already developed. The good news is that avoiding problem gambling or addiction is not that hard for someone who is committed to having fun the right way. You can take the following steps to prevent problem gambling.
- Set a Budget and Limit Your Bets – The main purpose of having a budget and bet limits is to control the amount of money you spend on gambling. Even if you lose, you must always stick to your budget to avoid overspending or borrowing.
- Take a Break – Taking a break is one of the best ways to prevent problem gambling. It’s especially helpful if you find yourself chasing losses or overspending on gambling.
- Exclude Yourself from Gambling – Self-exclusion can be helpful if you think a short break is not enough. It protects you from engaging in potentially harmful gambling by stopping access to gambling.
What if I Have Already Developed a Gambling Problem?
If you get carried away and develop problem gambling, there’s no need to worry because there are effective ways to address the problem. Renowned organisations such as BeGambleAware and GamCare are readily available to help you resolve your issue by providing useful resources. You can also address problem gambling by joining a support group, calling helplines, and seeking help from professional counsellors.